invites applications for the position of:
Director of Capital Projects
$5,415.12 – $6,465.50 Biweekly
$11,732.75 – $14,008.58 Monthly
$140,793.00 – $168,103.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 07/18/17
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
AC Transit is actively searching for candidates for the position of Director of Capital Projects. Under general supervision, this position directs the activities and staff of the District’s Capital Projects unit; Alternative Fuels program, and Project Management office; provides oversight and mentoring to all Project Managers to ensure adherence to the scope, budget and schedule for all district capital projects, as well as status reporting, and compliance with industry best project management practices. This is an excellent opportunity to work on amazing capital projects at one of the largest bus agencies in California. In addition to working with some of the best in the business, AC Transit also has an excellent benefits package that includes pension, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending and a 457 savings plan.
• Directs all District’s capital projects, from authorization of the project to be listed in the Capital Improvement program, through planning and environmental phase, preliminary engineering, final design, construction, commissioning, and final turnover to operations.
• Develops and communicates project management frameworks and methodologies based on best industry project management practices; using state-of-the-art project management tools to deliver projects on time, on budget, and within quality standards.
• Develops short and long range Capital Improvement programs, and collaborates on a continual basis with staff of Service Development and Operations.
• Develops project teams, and directs the activities of Senior Project Managers, Project Managers, and other assigned District staff, as well as external consultants and contractors. Applies consistent project oversight and monitoring of work flow, team building, and coaching.
• Develops or oversees the development and updating of project scope, budgets, and schedules through the project management lifecycle in order to avoid or minimize cost overruns while assuring consistency in design, construction, quality of materials, safety, security, and adherence to projected schedule.
• Consults with District staff in other departments, including Operations, Legal, Internal Audit, Finance and Procurement; to ensure compliance with project requirements and District policies and procedures.
• Consults with District staff in other departments, and may supervise staff of other departments on an ad hoc basis, as required by project needs. Provides consultation and expertise to other District staff to resolve jurisdictional or legal issues.
• Develops and/or reviews Requests for Proposals/Qualifications; and partners with Procurement to achieve the most advantageous solicitation process, and pricing objectives, while adhering to the District’s objectives or quality standards.
• Oversees and/or approves plans, specifications, reports, and other documents submitted by District staff and consultants; and orders appropriate revisions.
• Reviews and approves payment applications and change orders by contractors and consultants in consultation with appropriate District staff, and in compliance with the District process and procedures.
• Reports on all projects on a monthly and/or quarterly basis, as required.
• Oversees external and internal stakeholder interfaces to promote the projects through community and media outreach, and assure resolution of issues and concerns proactively.
• Applies methodologies and techniques of Project Management, including the principles of the Project Management Institutes PMBOK (ANSI 99-001-2008).
• Communicates, negotiates, and consults with officials of various jurisdictions within the AC Transit District. Coordinates activities and project phases with Federal, state, and local agencies to ensure compliance with laws and regulations, or local requirements.
• Performs related duties, as required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, Project Management, or closely related field.
Experience:Eight (8) or more years of recent and verifiable experience in capital project management, engineering management, architecture, and/or construction management for multiple capital projects. Experience must include the demonstrated use of advanced project management methodologies and techniques, as well as budget development and monitoring, public agency procurement, contract negotiation, and administration; and four (4) years directly supervising personnel at various levels.
Desired: Registration as a professional engineer or architect with the state of California. Collaborative approach to solving problems.Demonstrated interpersonal skills. Demonstrated skills creating and fostering a team based environment. Experience developing relationships and demonstrating teamwork with peers and internal customers. Experience in facilities maintenance. Experience in making presentations to elected board officials.
Special Requirements: Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class C Driver License, and meet the District’s safe driving standards.
Physical Requirements:Must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting operating a computer, keyboard, and other peripheral equipment; safely drive a District automobile; and walk, stand, and climb short distances in construction settings in order to inspect the progress of assigned projects.
THIS POSITION IS AN UNREPRESENTED POSITION
The Selection Process:The Human Resources department must receive a completed online application by the filling date. If this recruitment is “Continuous,” it may be closed at any time without notice. Applications will be screened for job related qualifications, and those candidates who best meeting the qualifications listed on this Job Announcement will be invited to participate in an examination process that may include written, oral and/or performance segments. Current District employees must have satisfactory attendance and performance records up to and throughout the recruitment process. Finalists will be placed on a ranked Eligibility List. When filling vacancies, the Human Resources Department will refer the top candidates to the hiring department for final screening and recommendation. Per Board Policy, selected candidates may require background checks performed on their criminal and/or financial records.
ADACompliant and Drug Free Workplace:The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you have a need for an accommodation, please call Human Resources at (510) 891-4783.
The Alameda Contra Costa Transit District has established the goal of a 100 percent drug and alcohol-free workplace. Applicants will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment and those in safety sensitive positions will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing through their period of employment, including random drug and alcohol testing.
Equal Opportunity Employer
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/actransit/jobs/1798814-0/director-of-capital-projects