Means Industries, headquartered in Saginaw, Michigan since 1922 manufactures Mechanical Diode One-Way Clutches, Controllable Mechanical Diode Selectable Clutch Plates, high precision formed metal powertrain components and subassemblies for the automotive industry globally. Means fosters a culture of continuous innovation as an engineering design house. We design, assemble and test some of the most sophisticated OWC and Controllable Clutch products for Powertrain and Driveline applications in the industry. Means has a passion for problem solving that drives everything we do.
Means Industries is a subsidiary of Amsted Industries (www.amsted.com), one of the world’s largest transportation component manufacturers. Based in Chicago, Amsted specializes in products that serve the rail, heavy-duty vehicle, automotive, construction and general industrial markets. Amsted has 45 manufacturing facilities in 11 countries and employs more than 16,000 people throughout the world. Amsted is one of the largest 100 percent employee-owned companies in the United States.
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE
*Please note that Means Industries is not offering visa sponsorship of any kind for this position.
For more information about our company, visit our web site at www.meansindustries.com.
Designs, develops, and improves new and existing products in conformance to customer specifications. Directs fabrication, conducts build, and directs testing of prototypes. Analyze design concepts for fit, function, manufacturability, and ease of assembly. Coordinate engineering activities between the Customer, Product Engineering, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Sales/Marketing, and the supply base.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and maintains timing charts for various program phases.
- Develop relationships with customer’s advanced design and development product engineers.
- Design oneself and/or direct CAD Operators in the design of new products. Submit design work requests as required to obtain support.
- Verify that designs meet all customer prototype specifications and requirements through analysis. Including:
- Writing and reviewing work order with CAE department
- Hand calculations as verification of CAE work
- Interpreting and applying results to demonstrate acceptable performance or modify for improved performance.
- Direct testing to insure customer prototype parts meet or exceed specification. Including
- Write test plans
- Develop necessary tests
- Instruct test lab how to complete necessary tests
- Document test results internally and externally, complete conclusions, and make recommendations based on test results.
- Coordinates the fabrication of prototypes. Assemble prototypes and document builds in conformance with customer/internal requirements.
- Prepare engineering cost studies by working with purchasing and manufacturing to obtain cost estimates.
- Establish test requirements and procedures, prepare product test plans, direct product testing, review test results, prepare reports, and communicate results to internal and external customers.
- Participate in Means Innovation initiatives.
- Liaison with internal and external manufacturing, operations and assembly personnel to insure that prototype designs can be manufactured at reasonable cost
- Initiates design FMEA’s or customer equivalent for new products when required
- Prepares /supports root cause analysis and prepares documentation as required by customer as part of failure analysis.
- Helps prepare marketing and competitor analysis studies to aid in strategic planning and capital programs.
- When necessary, liaison with Means manufacturing facilities in areas of product design, manufacturing, assembly, and process improvement.
- Prepares Product Submission Warrants for prototype sample submissions, per customer requirements.
- Work with Quality Department to create prototype build control plans
- Work with Quality Department to create prototype build process flow sheets
- Initiates design and development for new and improved products. Participates actively in design review meetings and helps stimulate positive engineering discussion.
- Prepares and participates in formal training and technical presentations for customers as well as internal personnel.
- Acts as a Team Leader for development programs and as a mentor for co-op/ summer engineering students and Means Product Application Engineers. Help guide and monitor others that are on the team to ensure goals and timing are met. Provide input for performance appraisals of others.
Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. A Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is desirable.
- 5 years minimum in electrical component engineering capacity.
- 3 years minimum in automotive/light truck product environment. Experience in automotive powertrain/drive-line components, transmission power flows and transmission component function required.
- Successful launching of a product with an Automotive OEM preferred.
- Able to fully characterize electromechanical actuation systems:
- DC motors
- Sensors (Hall, Inductive)
- Knowledge of PCB assembly and testing
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: