ODOT15-0008oc – Salem
This position is within ODOT’s Transportation Development Division (TDD). TDD’s mission is to develop an efficient, safe transportation system that enhances Oregon’s economic competitiveness and livability. Please click here to learn more about the TDD including current major projects and the Statewide Transportation Improvement Plan.
This position maintains data in the Road Inventory and Classification Services Unit’s TransInfo database. TransInfo supports the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Annual Certified Mileage Report, the FHWA’s Highway Performance Monitoring System Submittal, the Oregon Mileage Report, and other reports. This position answers customer questions and assists with the State Highway Video Log and in maintaining Functional Classification and National Highway System data.
This position offers an opportunity to do interesting and meaningful work with a high-functioning, collaborative team that engages in a variety of work that is used by the entire agency, in every corner of the state. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys working in a position that requires attention to detail and working with a team to resolve complex problems. Candidates who are searching for a career “home,” and meet the minimum qualifications are encouraged to apply. Please click here to view some of the products that result from the work activities of this position.
This announcement will remain open until filled. Please do not delay, as this recruitment may close at any time without advance notice at the discretion of the agency after a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied. Initial application screening is scheduled to begin on 02/10/2015.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record.
- This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Work shift could vary depending on work shifts of customer. Fieldwork at customer locations may require overnight travel. May require lifting up to 60 pounds. Data collection on the roadway which may involve working in inclement weather and adverse traffic 5% of the time.
Instructions – Minimum Qualifications:
To apply for this position, you must:
- Complete the application. A resume or position description will not be accepted in place of a completed application.
- The work experience and/or education section of your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet all of the minimum and special qualifications listed below.
- Complete the supplemental questions.
- Failure to follow these instructions may disqualify your application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- An Associate’s degree in Engineering technology from a community college or technical school of engineering and two years of experience directly related to engineering, OR
- Three and one-half years (42 months) of sub-professional engineering experience, OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Note: If you are a transportation maintenance specialist 2 (TMS2) or have been one in the past, in addition to your completed application, you must attach section three of your TMS2 position description to receive full credit for your related work. If your experience includes work in multiple maintenance disciplines (e.g. highway, sign, bridge, striping, or landscape), you must attach section three of the position description for each of the relevant disciplines.
Attach the required information as a separate document to your paper application, upload it to your online application, or fax it to 503-986-3895,
attention John A. This must be received in our office before the announcement close date and time and contain this announcement number, ODOT15-0008oc.
Preference may be shown to candidates whose work experience and/ or education demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities indicated in supplemental question number eight.
We will conduct criminal background checks on final candidates who are not current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position.
To qualify for veterans preference points, veterans must attach eligibility documents to their applications. Acceptable documentation must be legible, include character of service, and show a length of active duty service that meets the minimum length and/or other qualifications. (Click here for applicability including length of active duty service minimums.)
Acceptable documents are:
- A qualifying DD214*/215 for five preference points -OR-
- A qualifying DD214*/215 and public employment preference letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs for 10 preference points.
*Note: Member one DD214s typically do not include character of service and are usually not acceptable.
For questions about the job announcement, call John at 503-373-1639.
For technical help with online application, call 1-855-524-5627.
Application help: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/HR/jobs/Application_Help.pdf
Position Duties Include:
- Research road and highway engineering plans for road alignment, surface type, condition of surface, width, bridges and other structures, signing,
bicycle and pedestrian facilities, culverts, and other data elements.
- Perform engineering computations to determine horizontal and vertical curve data.
- Prepare and recommend plan to reflect changes to the highway system with milepoint equations, numbering of interchange ramps, and new highway line work.
- Interpret and input collected TransInfo field inventory data.
- Translate and enter construction plan and other data into TransInfo.
- Produce reports using computer query procedures.
- Recommend work flow processes to other unit employees.
- Assist in the maintenance of point-to-point mileage tables and respond to requests for point-to-point mileage.
- Create and update interchange diagrams and vicinity maps for use on Straightline Charts.
- Respond to customer inquiries regarding engineering computations used to create data, accuracy of data, how to use data.
- Assist with State Highway Video Log Program.
- Post newly-collected images to server.
- Assist in editing and duplication of libraries for customers.
- Perform quality control checking.
- Produce custom video segments as requested.
- Assist with collection of Highway Field Inventory Data.
- Completed application.
- Completed supplemental questions with responses demonstrated in application.
- Veteran’s documents attached to application, if applicable.
- You are strongly encouraged to print a copy of your electronic application for your records.
Oregon Department of Transportation
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
Fax 503-986-3895, Attn: John
Announcement information can be made available in an alternative format by calling 711 (relay operator for the deaf).
ODOT does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices.
Contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT) for questions regarding equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
Click here to apply.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: